10.04.2010

Grandpa

We went to New Orleans this past weekend to see Grandpa. The word last week was that he had taken a turn for the worse and a visit to see him might be a good idea. Unfortunately, the news was all too true.

When we arrived to see him he was in relatively good spirits. He communicated with us by forming the words with his mouth, the same way he has ever since his voice box was removed after having throat cancer. He told us that, "he was very happy to see us." We told him the news about Theresa being pregnant and he was so happy. Unable to get up or walk, he looked at us and we instantly knew that he wanted to know something else. We told him that we only had one suprise at a time for him, and if Tee and I did get married, we'd be sure to let him know. He mockingly scolded me as if to tell me that I'd better.

The next day Grandpa was very tired and he slept most of the time we were there. Tee and I spent time catching up with the mix of New Orleans family that was around. We looked through old photo albums and laughed about the hairstyles and clothes we used to have and of pets that have come and gone. I was amazed to see the youth of my grandparents and parents. It was a great feeling to be with family who are the link to a time before my own.

Thanks to my Aunt Candy and Uncle Frank for giving us a place to stay while were in town. It was great to see everyone, I promise to not take so long before my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment