1.02.2013

And now a few words about nonsense


The typical nonsense I hear on a day-to-day basis kills me slowly and quietly. Whether it's shitty teenagers complaining that their new iphone already sucking or an old guy croaking about having to talk to a "foreigner" every time he calls customer service, it’s mind numbing nonsense. Although it’s not the only reason I wanted to write this commentary, something I read a few days ago, is a prime example of the epidemic of idiocy I’m talking about.

Reality star, and world-class fame-whore, Kim Kardashian said during an interview recently that, "It's hard being pregnant." When I read this I swear my soul leapt out of my body in complete disgust. And my brain, equally upset, turned on itself. My brain started punching itself in my head, possibly in an effort to forget what it just heard. Meanwhile, I couldn't believe how dumb she sounded.  Then I realized, she is an absolutely self-indulgent, good for nothing, spoiled-child of a woman, who couldn’t as a result, possibly see how dumb she is.  

What I’m thinking is that it can very much be a trial to be pregnant.  In fact, for millions of women it is absolutely hard to be pregnant. For instance it’s incredibly hard for women experiencing medical complications, poverty, unsanitary living conditions, dirty water, poor medical care, genocide, civil war, religious fundamentalism, or any of the countless actual hardships women face around the world everyday. 

But Kim K isn’t talking about that.  What on Earth could she be referring to as being so “hard” about her pregnancy?  Was it the unearned wealth?  Was it the difficulty in finding heels that went along with her maternity clothes?  Was it being tired after sleeping all night in any one of her family’s mansions or penthouses?  I’m resigned to the fact that I may never really know.  

So, while her level of ignorance is arguably a hardship, it's not the type that qualifies her pregnancy as “hard” for any reason I can see. It certainly doesn’t warrant any sympathy, except maybe for the fetus that might have to call Kim it's mom and Kanye it's dad one day.  

Meanwhile, reality shows like Keeping Up With The Kardashians have warped an entire generation into demanding more “train wreck” programming.  There’s an endless stream of vapid, morally bankrupt, superficial, and emotional unstable people willing to put that all in front of a camera for the promise of fame and popularity.  

And derelicts like the ones on Here Come's Honey Boo Boo and Toddler's and Tiara's become "stars."  They achieve a kind of reverence in the eyes of the viewers.   Their faults are warped and humanized into forgivable, pitiable, redeemable attributes.  Their behaviors become normalized and accepted.  Slowly it all becomes normal. 

It's an epidemic now, an epidemic of stupidity. So what do we get as a result?  We get a ridiculous woman who has everything (except smarts) complaining that voluntarily growing her spawn without complications or hardships is hard.  And she does so without the first clue of how dumb she sounds.  Somebody tell her there are pregnant women in the world that have never had a clean drink of water in their entire miserable lives who complain less. Maybe then she, and her seemingly proudly stupid yet fashionable followers, might begin to see how dumb they are.  Maybe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment